Frutas y Verduras
A Fresh Food Lover's Guide to Mexico
Making it easier for you to experience and enjoy the fresh regional produce in Mexico – in season, delicious and healthful.
Connect & support the local community & economy daily.
Fruits, vegetables and herbs shape Mexican gastronomy, culture and identity.
the mighty zapote!
The impact of choosing 'taste of place'
- Food presents opportunities for intercultural exchange and authentic connection with local community members.
- Choosing local produce benefits the small businesses and individual vendors in the community.
- Plant foods are for everyone - no matter what your dietary needs and preferences, eating plants is a good food goal.
Food ways that are honest, meaningful and sustainable
- Focus on people who sell local produce from small, community-managed agricultural systems and local forage
- Foods that exemplify cultural values and heritage
- Inherited knowledge, such as foods as medicine, rooted in ancient indigenous ways
- Astounding biodiversity = diverse regional flavors and recipes
verdolagas - let's eat the weeds!
Local plants in your kitchen
Want to know how to use these ingredients?
Book a private coaching session — this will be an experience you can savor and one that will transform you from an observer to a participant in this country’s fascinating and vibrant culture.
Join our community!
Stay up-to-date on the latest events.
Dragon fruit... or pitahaya?
Episode 01 now streaming!
The Mighty Zapote Podcast
hosted by Margret Hefner
We talk to people who chose to make Mexico their home. For gringos, 'expats', extranjeros, navigating the foodways of this richly diverse country is an experience that's sometimes awkward, occasionally emotional and always uniquely Mexican.