Frutas y Verduras
A Fresh Food Lover's Guide to Mexico
Making it easier for you to experience and enjoy the fresh regional produce in Mexico – in season, delicious and healthful.
Connect & support the local community & economy daily.
Fruits, vegetables and herbs shape Mexican gastronomy, culture and identity.
the mighty zapote!
The impact of choosing 'taste of place'
- Food presents opportunities for intercultural exchange and authentic connection with local community members.
- Choosing local produce benefits the small businesses and individual vendors in the community.
- Plant foods are for everyone - no matter what your dietary needs and preferences, eating plants is a good food goal.
Food ways that are honest, meaningful and sustainable
- Focus on people who sell local produce from small, community-managed agricultural systems and local forage
- Foods that exemplify cultural values and heritage
- Inherited knowledge, such as foods as medicine, rooted in ancient indigenous ways
- Astounding biodiversity = diverse regional flavors and recipes
verdolagas - let's eat the weeds!
Join our community!
Stay up-to-date on the latest events, plus get a discount code for the ebook, Frutas y Verduras — A Fresh Food Lover's Guide to Mexico.
Dragon fruit... or pitahaya?
And coming soon to headphones near you!
The Mighty Zapote Podcast
hosted by Margret Hefner
We talk to people for whom Mexico is their chosen home. For gringos, 'expats', extranjeros... navigating the foodways of this richly diverse country is an experience that's sometimes awkward, occasionally emotional and arguably transformational.